Pre and Post Natal Exercise & Services
We have fully qualified pre and post natal trainers and a private and comfortable gym free from the usual gym crowds
Join us for Bump+Barre, our modified Barre class for mums-to-be.
We may also be able to accommodate you at our Pilates classes.
Reduce discomfort and boost energy levels.
Learn the fundamentals of exercising through pregnancy with our free-to-attend workshops
mummy+baby classes start this September
Meet our Pre and Post Natal team
Personal Trainer Laura is mum to a 4 year old boy and realised that there isn't that much information or guidance out there for mums who want to maintain fitness and strength throughout pregnancy.
Laura was determined to gain more knowledge and completed a pioneering course by leading strength and conditioning coach Brianna Battles, in conjunction with women's health physiotherapist Julie Weibe.
Laura is now a Pregnancy and Postpartum athleticism coach and can help women to strength train through all chapters of their life. At SWEAT, Laura can use her expertise in functional fitness to help mums-to-be and new mums in their individual journeys
General Manager and personal trainer Lily is fully qualified in pre and post natal exercise through leading training body Active IQ. Lily's expertise in training methods such as Barre and TRX as well as functional fitness will lead to fun and effective sessions through each trimester and when returning to exercise after giving birth.
Under expert guidance, APPI Pilates instructor Lexie will help you perform safe and effective workouts through each trimester and can help you to build new pre-natal programmes as well as enhancing those already in progress.
Lexie is qualified in Ante and Post Natal Pilates through the APPI. Lexie is also qualified in Pregnancy Massage.
Our instructors hold the appropriate qualifications and insurance.
Exercising through Pregnancy
- Women who exercise through pregnancy are more likely to experience shorter and easier labours.
- Regular exercise throughout pregnancy can help you to get back into shape quicker after childbirth.
- Exercising releases natural endorphins that decrease stress and anxiety and boost energy levels (which are depleted during pregnancy)
- Even if you haven’t exercised before you fall pregnant, there is still time to start. Once you have been cleared to exercise by your Doctor you can start gentle exercise and maintain your fitness levels throughout your pregnancy.
Here at SWEAT Southsea, we believe in giving better advice than just "do what you've always done" and "listen to your body"
We will help you to:
- Maintain strength levels
- Learn breathing techniques to keep your pelvic floor and core connection (which will help with post-birth recovery)
- Put first the health of you and your baby
- Manage symptoms and help reduce symptoms
- Maintain good mobility
- Prepare for life as a new mum
Post Natal Training
Post birth, we will help you to:
- Focus on recovery - (slow is fast)
- Connect your core and pelvic floor with breathing
- Understand the foundations of A-alignment, B-breathing, C-core
- Build the necessary strength for life as a mum - carrying your baby, lifting the car seat etc.
- Learn safe and effective movements
- Manage symptoms
- Recover from the inside out
At SWEAT Southsea, you will find a supportive and encouraging environment.
Our gym is dedicated to 1-1 and bespoke services, meaning no gym crowds.
- We can help you to discover 'you' time if you have childcare.
- No childcare? Monday-Friday, from 11:30am - 12:30pm and 2:30pm - 3:30pm, we can accommodate personal training with your baby/infant accompanying you! We have soft play mats, a changing unit in one of our private bathrooms and plenty of space for your buggy.
Ease back pain, swollen legs and fatigue
Boost energy levels and promote relaxation
- Reduce discomfort through muscle spasm, cramp, tension and back ache.
- Stimulate soft tissue to reduce swelling, often seen as swollen ankles disperse fluid retention.
- Boost energy levels and relieve fatigue
- Promote relaxation and reduce stress
- Ease digestive problems
- Improve circulation and enhance blood flow to the womb
- Encourage a healthy and strong internal environment for your baby to grow in
- Promote homeostasis or balance when bodily systems are working harmoniously
- Ease sciatic pain
- Improve the quality of your sleep and provide relief from headaches
What is Diastasis Recti?
During pregnancy, the tissues that hold your abdominals together expand and separate to make room for the baby. If they stretch too far this can result in Diastasis Recti. This is very common for women who have had children and is nothing to worry about. However it is important that it is diagnosed and treated to help bring the abdominal wall back together, strengthen the core and prevent further injury.
Our Pre and Post Natal qualified trainers will be able to help you discover whether you have a Diastasis Recti and teach you how you can fix it and what to avoid doing until you have.